A Day In the Life of Me

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Baking blog?

So, it's no secret, I am not the best at updating my blog. I was talking with a friend and she suggested posting about my baking. So, I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'd love to hear what you (all 2 of my readers) think. I'm sure I'll still post the occassional picture of my cute kids (because, really, how can I resist?), but maybe this will give me the motivation to post more often. I absolutely love to bake and sharing recipes is a big part of that too.
So, I'm going to start this off with red velvet cupcakes (minus the red since I didn't have any food coloring on hand).
I thought they were pretty good, but next time I'm definitely going to make sure I have cream cheese on hand to make cream cheese frosting instead of butter cream which seemed a little too sweet for the mildness of the chocolate cake.
The cake itself was moist and a good texture though. I wish my kids would've appreciated that fact a little more as they would lick the frosting off and maaaaybe take one bite of the cake part. And the hubby didn't really care for the frosting with it, so ate a grand total of one.
Leaving me with the task of eating most of them myself. Not that I'm complaining TOO much, but it certainly doesn't help with getting back into my regular pants. Ah well... always another day to start dieting right? I can't remember where I got the recipe from... somewhere online, but I looked at too many different places to remember. This made 24 regular sized cupcakes.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Ingredients -
2-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1-1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
1-1/2 teaspoon Red Food Coloring
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Buttermilk
2 tablespoons Water
1-1/2 teaspoons White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place cupcake baking cups into muffin tin.
3. Combine all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium-mixing bowl.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Butter mixture should be light and fluffy. Continue mixing and add in eggs, red food coloring, and vanilla extract until well blended.
5. Alternately add buttermilk and flour mixture to creamed butter mixture.
6. Mix water into cupcake mixture
7. Combine vinegar and baking soda, in a small bowl. Gradually stir vinegar mixture into cupcake batter.
8. Spoon cupcake batter into cupcake baking cups.
9. Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and cool completely before icing.

3 Comments:

At 8:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm...send some my way! They look GREAT! How's the baby!?

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Also, I can imagine that it would be hard to blog about anything new when you are on your fourth kid and have been blogging for like FIVE YEARS! you're a trooper!

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Man, can I just move in? Between you and Jay cooking, life would be so sweet! Yum!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home