A Day In the Life of Me

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Interesting observation at the park

So, last night we went to the park for about an hour and after sitting down on a bench with Jay and Miles and finding where the other two kiddos had darted off to, I noticed a couple who were sitting in the grass who happened to be midgets. I pointed them out (not actually pointing my finger, of course) to Jay and said that it was pretty unusual.  Jay's response was that he didn't even notice them.  They had a boy probably about 4 years old playing at the park and the dad would get up and watch or help when called for/needed.  A while later they had gotten up and moved to the side of the park where I was sitting (Jay had been called by one of the kids to look at the huge gross beetles that were everywhere in the wood pieces at the park) and a kid who couldn't have been much older than Hyrum (I'd guess about 6) oogled at the woman and then ran off to tell his friends, who happened to be a couple feet behind me at the water fountain, "hey guys, this lady is really short! You've gotta come look at her!" And then she had five 6-year-olds staring at her.  She just smiled at them sweetly... I can't say I would have had the same reaction.  I was a little miffed and shook my head at their reaction.  About 3 minutes after the group of boys had decided she wasn't going to start doing anything interesting left Hyrum told me about the beetles and then went back to look at them and then shouted over his shoulder to the man midget that there were lots of beetles over here (I'm guessing he had talked to him earlier a bit since he sounded like he was familiar with him).  The man just replied something about how that was cool and Hyrum grinned in satisfaction.  I guess I'm mostly posting this to brag a little on Hyrum.  He is definitely one to notice differences (he later told me about the short man as he was getting ready to get in bed) but he just doesn't make that big of a deal about it -- it doesn't really matter.  I wish I could claim that as good parenting, but I don't think I've had a whole lot to do with it.

2 Comments:

At 4:33 PM , Blogger Jarubla said...

:)

Hyro is a good boy--so easy to sum things up in a trite tidy lil blurg, but it is true. I like that he is so willing to accept people. That is a pretty profound lesson for me--the guy who constantly sifts/filters/throws out interactions all day. A strong lesson indeed

-Jay

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger Jarubla said...

Meant *blurb, not blurg

(dang spelling mistakes, wish I could edit my own comments...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home